OverviewThe iCIMS Talent Platform allows users to leverage a Task Library to avoid manual task creation or create tasks on-the-fly as needed. Each task is accompanied by a notification, which will be delivered via email to each task assignee; these task notifications can be easily configured by user admins. (For more information on task notifications, please see Configuring Task Notifications.)
Note: By default, only user admins will have the full permissions to create and edit Library Tasks. Please contact iCIMS Technical Support to change these permissions.
Creating Library TasksThe Task Library allows users to avoid manual task creation by storing up to 500 tasks that can be assigned to other Platform users, new hires, and even external stakeholders. Tasks in the Task Library can be searched and reported on.
- Access the Task Library by selecting Library from the top menu bar, then select Task from the sub-menu.
- Select the Create Library Task button.
- Enter the required information in the Create Library Task window, and then click Save. (For more information on this window, see below.)
- Name: The Name field is the display name of the task. This will be the name shown if the task name variable is used.
- Association: The Association field allows users to associate a task with a specific profile type (Person, Recruiting Workflow, New Hire Category, or Onboarding Workflow). This cannot be edited after the task is created.
- Note: The Association will be used when you add or assign a task at a later date. For example, only tasks with a Person association can be added to a Person Profile Tasks Tab. Similarly, only tasks with an Onboarding Workflow association can be added to a person’s Onboard Status Tab. (For more information on Onboarding Workflow tasks, please see Creating Onboarding Workflow Tasks and Onboarding Workflow Task Dependencies.)
- Assignee Type: The Assignee Type options available are Associated Person, Specific Person, and Relational Person.
- Associated Person indicates that the task is to be assigned to the Person Profile being viewed at the time of the assignment.
- Specific Person allows the user to assign a task to a specific individual profile from their iCIMS database each time the task is selected.
- For example, if there is one person in charge of setting up all new hires’ computers, select Specific Person as the Assignee Type. The Specific Person field will then display, allowing you to select that person's name from the type-to-search dropdown.
- Relational Person will only be available if the "Relational Persons" feature is enabled for your Platform. This allows a user to assign a task to a person that has a relation to the Person Profile that you are associating the task with.
- For example, if your organization wants to create an onboarding task for a hiring manager to take their new hire out to lunch:
- When creating this task in the Task Library, select Onboarding Workflow as the Association and Relational Person as the Assignee Type.
- The Relational Person field will then display, and you can either click into the empty field or select the Add Relational Person icon to launch the Add Relational Person popup.
- From the — Make a Selection — dropdown, select Fields (Workflow) Tab > Associated Job >> Hiring Manager.
- Click Add & Close and continue creating the task.
- Note: The options available in the — Make a Selection — dropdown differ depending on the task's Association.
- If you are interested in enabling the "Relational Persons" feature, contact iCIMS Technical Support.
- Category: Category gives organizations another way to organize tasks. Each time a user adds a task to a profile, they will have the ability to filter by the task category. User admins can configure these categories by navigating to Admin > System Configuration > System > Tasks > Task Categories.
- Type: The Type field allows users to set whether a task is General, iForm, Integration, or Informational in nature. This cannot be edited after the task is created.
- Due Date: The Due Date field allows the user to set when this task is due. The due date will be set in relation to either when the task was assigned or a new hire’s start date (an option available for Onboarding Workflow tasks).
- Notifications: Notifications may be set to remind the task assignee about the task assignment. Reminders may be set when the task is assigned, any number of days before the task due date, or when the task is past due.
- Reminder and Overdue notifications are sent to recipients as follows: all applicable non-Onboard task types (general and iForm) are sent in one email and all applicable Onboard tasks are sent in one email. No reminder or overdue notifications are available for Informational tasks, because they do not have due dates.
- The Platform only notifies users of overdue tasks for 30 days, beginning with the first overdue task notification for each task. After 30 days have passed since that first notification, no more overdue notifications for that task will be sent.
- Description: The Description field stores a description of the assigned task and can also support the inclusion of images, videos, and documents from the File Library as required.
- Complete Button Text: The Complete Button Text determines the messaging that will appear on the button a user will click to mark the task as complete.
- Prerequisite Task(s): Prerequisite Tasks may be set among certain Onboarding Workflow tasks in the Task Library, including General, iForm, and Integration tasks. When one or more prerequisite tasks have been set, this task will not be able to be completed by its assignee until all prerequisite tasks are complete. For more information, please see Creating Onboarding Workflow Tasks and Onboarding Workflow Task Dependencies.
- Task notifications are sent automatically by the system, but appear as though they have been sent by the user who assigned the task. The email template sent for each notification is dependent upon the task type. For more information on task notifications, please see Configuring Task Notifications.
- You can edit a task by returning to the Task Library and selecting the Edit icon. (Note that the task’s Association and Type cannot be edited.)
- The Hidden checkbox is only available when editing a Task. It will hide that specific task from being assigned. If a task has already been assigned to a person, no change will be seen.
Creating Non-Library TasksWhile the ability to create Non-Library Tasks is granted on a per-user group basis, it is suggested that most tasks be added to the Task Library and re-used. Non-Library Tasks create complications when reporting on tasks with the Task Search.
- Select Communicate from the menu bar, and then select Create Task from the drop-down menu.
- Enter the required information (indicated by red asterisks) in the Create Non-Library Task window. (Refer to the list in the section above for information on each field.) Click Save to finish and Assign your task.
Tip: Users can also create Tasks from profiles within the Platform. From a Person Profile, select the Tasks Tab. Then, click the New Task icon to launch the Add Person Task(s) window, which will allow you to select a Library Task or create a non-library task, as needed.
Additional Topics about TasksGeneral Tasks
- Creating Tasks (this article)
- Introduction to the Tasks Tab on a Profile
- Configuring Task Notifications
User Admin CurriculumThe iCIMS introductory curriculum for user admins is split into four sections: Working in System Configuration, Managing Libraries, Managing Users & Profiles, and Managing Scheduled Reports. It includes videos and articles, with each type of resource denoted by the following icons:
- : Article
- : Learning Clip
- : Chaptered Video
- : Training Webinar
Working in System Configuration
- iCIMS400: User Admin Access: System Configuration
- Introduction to System Configuration
- Searching for Fields and Settings
- Configuring the Other Menu on the Platform Menu Bar
- Adding and Editing Profile Tabs
- Adding and Editing Profile Tab Sections
- Adding and Editing Fields
- Reordering Profile Tabs
- Pinning a Tab to the Recruiting Workflow Profile
- Configuring Profile Lists
- Creating and Editing Global Approval Lists
- Editing Career Portal Notifications
- Updating Portal Pages
- Updating General and Mobile Settings for Career Portals
- Creating a New Recruiting Workflow Status
- Setting up Forced Recruiting Workflows
- iCIMS410: User Admin Access: Managing Libraries
- Creating and Editing Job Templates
- Creating Tasks (this article)
- Adding Files to the File Library
- Adding a Question to the Screening Questions Library
Managing Users & Profiles
- iCIMS420: User Admin Access: Managing Users & Profiles